Using Liberty Basic

Want to learn to program using Liberty Basic? Already programming in Liberty Basic but want to learn more? Follow this experienced programmer (Java) as he teaches himself this wonderful programming language.

 

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Using Liberty Basic

Hi everyone.

So, this is my first post on this blog. I guess this is a good time to explain why I created this blog. It's simple really, this blog is going to document my experience using Liberty Basic. At the moment I am completely new to Liberty Basic, but, seeing as I am a software engineer by profession, I'm hoping that it won't be too hard for me to get the hang of it.

So why Liberty Basic? Now that is really good question. Let's see. Well, first and foremost, I was looking for a programming language I could use to develop small programs for the PC (windows). I program in Java for a living and I am very proficient in it, so Java was definately an option. The problem with Java for me was that I really want to be able to distribute my applications as an executable (.exe). I also want to develop GUI applications that have the windows look and feel. I simply feel that the Swing components I would have used in Java have a definate Java look to them. I want my applications to look like a windows program, not a Java program that happens to be running on windows. With these kind of thoughts in mind, I went in search of another programming language to use. I definately didn't want to pay the exhorbitant prices charged by Microsoft for their latest Visual C++, Visual Basic or whatever... and I equally didn't want to pay the similarly high price for Borland's equivalent programs like Delphi or C++ Builder. No, I was definately going to need to look for something smaller... and preferably something simple too. I did teach myself a little C, just because I felt that it's important to know, but I think C is a little too low level for being able to quickly develop desktop applications. I thought about using C++... but, to be honest, I just don't like C++. It's just not elegant enough for my liking. If I was going to use C++ though, I would definately use Devshed's Dev C++. Anyway, so this left me still looking for a good development language with which to create windows programs. After much hunting around, it became clear to me that the only way I was going to know whether I liked a language or not, was to give it a go. This is where I decided to make a choice an just go with it. If I liked it, great. If I didn't like it, hopefully I would learn why I didn't like it. This is where this blog comes in. I decided that I would give Liberty Basic a whirl and write about my experiences with it. If I do really well with Liberty Basic, I will let you in on the tips and tricks I learn along the way. If I find problems with Liberty Basic, I will document them here so that others may learn from my experience. If this is the case, I will pick another language and hope for a better experience next time. Either way, I decided it was time to take action... and give something a try.

Some of the reasons for me starting with Liberty Basic are...
  1. It seems to be frequently updated.
  2. It appears to have a strong user base.
  3. It claims to be easy.
  4. It's cheap.
  5. There seems to be quite a few plugins that have been developed by various users.
  6. It has a GUI builder.
  7. It can always be extended via C if need be.
Anyway, so that's the background for this blog. I hope you enjoy this journey with me. Please do leave some comments on this site so that I know people are reading this blog (even if the comment is... "I wish you good luck with your programming"... or... "Are you crazy... C++ is obviously the best language in existence", etc).

Thanks

Eddie.

7 Comments:

  • I think you've made a good choice with Liberty BASIC for the intention you've described. I've been using it for just over a year, and it is the only language that has enabled me to successfully learn core programming concepts, despite previous attempts with C, C++, VB, and Java (MS J++, actually... not long after its release). It's interesting (for me) to note that you are a software engineer proficient in Java looking to try Liberty BASIC. I find myself in somewhat of an opposite position: having gained an understanding of the elementary aspects of object orientation in previous attempts with J++, Java has worked its way toward the top slot of my 'Languages to Learn Next' due primarily to OO functionality (which Liberty currently lacks) and in large part to what I've read of various Java programmers' opinions. I am curious as to what your perspective will be on Liberty BASIC.

    -Cassio

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 AM  

  • If you use Java in your day job and are looking for a better GUI designer, check out BuoyBuilder at www.buoybuilder.com. It's a new breed of GUI designers for Swing that allows for clean separation of MVC, no code generation and a great, flexible event model.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 AM  

  • Hi Cassio (bshipps64)

    Thanks for your comment. I do feel that Java is an excellent language... especially for enterprise level programming. If you are looking for a job as a software engineer... Java is a very good route to take. As I explained in my blog, however, that I am looking for a language I can use to write my own desktop applications. Liberty Basic looked like it might be good for this. Stay tuned to this blog to see how I do.

    Thanks again for leaving your comment.

    Eddie

    P.S. I'm also curious what my perspective on Liberty Basic will be :-).

    By Blogger Edward Meyer, at 8:59 AM  

  • Hi anonymous,

    Thanks for your link to BuoyBuilder. I had not come across it before. This linkk might be useful to other programmers that view this blog, so thank you for your comment.

    As for me... my issue at this point wasn't needing a better GUI designer... my issue was that Swing based Java applications LOOK to much like a Java application and not enough like a windows application. I want my desktop applications to use the native GUI components for the system they are running on. It's just a personal preference of mine.

    Once again, thanks for the post.

    Eddie

    By Blogger Edward Meyer, at 9:05 AM  

  • Hi Eddie

    Hope you enjoy your time with Liberty Basic. I am strictly a hobby programmer and quite a slow learner at that!! I look forward to your comments as you go along and hopefully I'll learn something from you.

    Regards

    Robert

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:22 AM  

  • Hi Robert,

    I'm sure we'll be able to learn a lot from each other. Thanks for posting a comment on this blog.

    Eddie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 AM  

  • Oops. Robert, that last comment was me -- I forgot to sign in. :-)

    Looking forward to seeing you around more on this site (or in the liberty basic forms etc).

    Eddie

    By Blogger Edward Meyer, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home